When the hair does not receive adequate moisture it causes Dry Hair. This can be due to illness, nutritional deficiency, chlorinated water, styling tools and materials. Here we are mentioning few of the home remedies to prevent dry hair : 1. Avocado The saturated fats, vitamins A and E, protein and various other minerals in avocado are highly beneficial for dry and damaged hair. Avocado also helps add moisture to dry hair shafts and strengthen your hair.
- Mash one ripe, peeled avocado. Mix in one teaspoon each of wheat-germ oil and jojoba oil to make a smooth paste. Apply the mixture on freshly washed hair, from the roots to the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap. Leave it on for half an hour and then shampoo your hair with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once or twice a week.
- Mash a ripe, peeled avocado and add two tablespoons of olive oil to it. Mix well until the consistency is thick and smooth. Shampoo and rinse your hair. Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Finally, rinse your hair. Do this once a week.
2. Eggs Eggs are also very helpful for dry and damaged hair. A good source of protein and lecithin, eggs help strengthen and repair damaged and lifeless hair by adding moisture, shine, and texture to it.
- Whip an egg white thoroughly along with two tablespoons of lukewarm water. Apply the mixture to your damp hair and scalp and massage with your fingertips in a circular motion for 15 minutes. Then shampoo your hair with cool water. Do this once or twice a week, depending on the condition of your hair.
- Mix together three eggs, two tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture to damp hair and scalp. Cover your head with a shower cap for about 30 minutes, and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo and cool water. Do this once a week to make your hair soft and silky.
3.Olive Oil Olive oil is the most popular home remedy for dry hair. The rich vitamin E and antioxidant content present in olive oil help heal damaged hair by sealing the cuticle, or outer layer, with moisture. Olive oil can be used as a hot oil hair treatment to strengthen, add shine and restore moisture to very dry hair.
- Put enough olive oil for the length of your hair in a cup or bowl and slightly warm it in a microwave.
- Apply the warm oil thoroughly over your scalp and hair shafts. Massage your scalp gently for five to 10 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a warm towel and leave the oil on overnight, or at least for 30 minutes.
- Finally, shampoo and condition your hair with products suited to your hair type.
- Do this at least once a week to give your hair much-needed nourishment and care.
Note: You can also use coconut oil, almond oil, castor oil, jojoba oil or corn oil for this hot oil treatment. 4. Bananas Bananas are another excellent ingredient for treating extremely dry and damaged hair. The high potassium and moisture content in bananas prevents split ends, and softens and improves the elasticity of your hair.
- Mash one ripe or overripe banana and spread it thoroughly on your hair, from the roots to the ends. Leave it on for up to an hour and then rinse your hair with lukewarm water. Do this once a week for effective results.
- Alternatively, mix one ripe or overripe banana, one tablespoon of almond oil and two tablespoons of honey. Apply this hair mask on your hair thoroughly. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse well with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once week to enjoy smooth and shiny hair.
5. Honey Honey is another great home remedy for dry hair. Honey can trap moisture in your hair, which will make it soft, shiny, and well nourished.
- Apply one-half cup of honey to freshly washed, damp hair and gently massage it into your scalp. Cover your head with a shower cap for 30 minutes. Rinse it out with lukewarm water. Do this twice a week for effective results.
- Mix four tablespoons of olive oil, two tablespoons of glycerin, and two tablespoons of honey. Use it as a conditioner after washing your hair. Do this whenever you feel your hair has become extremely dry.
Another good trick is to mix some honey with the regular conditioner that you use after shampooing. Do this no more than once a week. 6. Aloe Vera The unique combination of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids in aloe vera can greatly benefit dry and damaged hair.
- Mix one-half cup of aloe vera gel, two teaspoons each of castor oil and powdered fenugreek, and one teaspoon of basil powder. Mix the ingredients well and apply the mixture thoroughly onto your scalp and hair. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight. In the morning, wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Do this at least once a week to see good results within a month or two.
Alternatively, add two teaspoons of thick hibiscus flower paste to one-half cup of aloe vera gel. Blend the ingredients well and your homemade conditioner is ready to use. Regular use of this conditioner will give a shine and soft texture to your dry hair.