The primary cause of gum disease is poor oral hygiene, resulting in plaque buildup along and under the gum line. Plaque builds up when bacteria attach to the tooth and gum margins.
Factors like smoking, hormonal changes, genetic predisposition, poor nutrition, stress, certain medications, diabetes and other illnesses also contribute to the problem.
Brushing and flossing every day is a very important behaviour to prevent decay and gum disease. You should develop the habit of brushing and flossing every day.
also below mentioned the few simple home remedies you can try
Due to its anti-inflammatory and healing properties, aloe vera has been found to be beneficial in dealing with gum disease. Being an antimicrobial, it also kills the bacteria that cause gum disease. Plus, it fights bad breath and heals mouth ulcers.
- Massage your gums with fresh aloe vera gel, leave it on for at least half an hour and then rinse it off. Repeat several times a day.
- Alternatively, swish some aloe vera juice around in your mouth a few times, and then spit it out.
- You can also drink about two teaspoons of aloe vera juice on a regular basis.
Note: Drinking too much aloe vera juice can have a laxative effect.
Cranberry juice is good for fighting gum disease and infection due to its high vitamin C content. A study published in the Journal of Periodontology has associated lower intake of vitamin C with higher rates of periodontal disease.
Simply drink about four ounces, or two tablespoons, of cranberry juice daily to help prevent bacteria from sticking to your teeth.
Plus, eat more vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables, such as lemons, oranges, grapefruits, blueberries, grapes, strawberries, papaya, red pepper and broccoli.
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil help in the natural treatment of gum disease. Combining it with baking soda will help neutralize the acids in your mouth, too.
- Mix two tablespoons each of coconut oil and baking soda.
- Use this in place of your toothpaste once or twice a week on a regular basis.